Introduction and Favorite Things
As Sophie mentioned in a previous post, I'm Carlie Webber, and I'm new to Pop Goes the Library, so...hi! Can I do the Eight Things meme as an introduction? Sure. Here are Eight Things about me, four personal and four professional.
1. Professional: I hold a MLIS from the University of Pittsburgh and have been a YA librarian for six years. Currently I work for the Bergen County Cooperative Library System in Hackensack, NJ.
2. Personal: I am married and have two cats, Henry and Beezus.
3. Professional: My favorite part of being a librarian is doing reader's advisory. (How odd, I became a librarian because I like to read!) When I grow up I want to be Diana Tixier Herald. Or Nancy Pearl.
4. Personal: I have had driver's licenses in four states (Illinois, Pennsylvania, California, and New Jersey) and been to Disneyland over 20 times, but I don't have a passport yet.
5. Professional: I live for public speaking! I've presented at conferences recently on the topic of book vs. fanfiction reviewing and using social networking technologies with teens.
6. Professional: I've been a YA book reviewer almost as long as I've been a librarian. I review for Teenreads.com, Voice of Youth Advocates (VOYA) and Kirkus Reviews. I serve with Melissa on YALSA Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults and am the chair of the 2008 YALSA Publishers' Liaison Committee.
7. Personal: Before I went to library school, I trained to be a professional percussionist. I also sing.
8. Personal: I'm completely addicted to sushi. Mmm, hamachi.
1. Snakes and Arrows. Rush has been my favorite band since I was twelve, and I really like the new album (particularly "Far Cry" and "The Larger Bowl"). My two favorite Rush albums are still the Rupert Hine productions, Presto and Roll the Bones, but S&A is nothing to sneeze at. It's got a more lyrical sound than its predecessor, Vapor Trails, and includes two instrumental tracks. They're playing Madison Square Garden in September and I already have tickets.
2. Flavor of Love Girls: Charm School. One of the things you'll come to learn as I post more to Pop is that I love really really bad television. I watch it all short of Jerry Springer: Engaged and Underage, Judge Judy, Maury, The Pussycat Dolls Present: The Search for the Next Doll, etc. Last spring, I was flipping channels and found that I could not pull myself away from the awesome trainwreck that was Season One of VH1's Flavor of Love. And because I have a well-developed case of Trainwreck Syndrome when it comes to television, I have watched all the FoL spin-offs. The one currently airing is Charm School, in which rejects from Seasons One and Two of FoL attend an academy of manners led by comedienne Mo'Nique. The girl who best follows the ten commandments of Charm School (Commandment One: Thou shalt goeth, girl!) and stays the longest wins $50,000.
3. 1bruce1, the Sweet Valley recap community on LiveJournal. Inspired by Claudia's Room, some smarter-than-I snarky recappers have taken to dissecting everyone's favorite '80's teen paperback series. It's like Television Without Pity for your book nostalgia. My personal favorite Sweet Valley book? Definitely SVH #32, The New Jessica. Hair dye and a credit card can go a long way towards a brand-new image.
(Other things I wanted to write about that didn't quite make the top 3 cut: Vanilla Coke Zero, Tarte Cosmetics Rhett & Scarlett lip gloss duo, the new Pete Hautman novel that I haven't read yet, BellaSugar, Top Chef...why I'm so into a cooking show when I hate cooking I will never know..., the Sidekick 3, and Neil Gaiman.)