Fun Friday: This is Halloween, everybody make a scene!
Christmastime is nice, but I've always been of the opinion that fall is the most wonderful time of the year. Colored leaves, new sweaters, pumpkin spice lattes, and my favorite holiday, Halloween. Goblins and ghosts and ghouls, oh my! (And also, free candy.) This year, I'll be dressing as Jenny from the short story "The Green Ribbon" from In A Dark, Dark Room and Other Scary Stories by Alvin Schwartz and Dirk Zimmer. Some green ribbon, a dress I already own, and poof! Instant costume. Hey, you gotta be creative when you can't sew.
For all of you who read Pop Goes the Library, I wish you the most spooktacular of Halloweens and offer these links for your Halloween-themed web browsing pleasure:
- The Skull Font from the Skull-A-Day blog. Skulls: They're the new polka dots.
- 7 Burning Halloween questions answered at Mental Floss. If you're a connoisseur of trivia and fun facts and you don't read Mental Floss already, definitely consider a subscription.
- Pumpkin carving at Halloween. Everyone does it, but no one does it quite like the people at Extreme Pumpkins. They've got a second book now of pumpkin tips and tricks: Extreme Pumpkins II: Take back Halloween and Freak Out a Few More Neighbors.
- DIY Halloween (via Lifehacker)
- Entertainment Weekly's Scariest Movies of All Time
- 2008's Most Popular Halloween Costumes. What are YOU dressing as?
- In the Seattle Times: Spine-tingling books for teens and tweens
- Looking for something to do other than the standard Halloween party where you stick your hand in a bowl of grapes and pretend they're eyeballs? Why not go through a haunted corn maze?
- If you're like me and you don't trust your cat not to eat your jack-o'-lantern, you can always build a pumpkin from Legos!
- Eight easy Halloween costume and makeup ideas, if you're a no-fuss no-muss Halloweener. (from BellaSugar)
- Even your computer gets in on the fun with Halloween desktop wallpapers (link from GeekSugar)
Have a fun Halloween, everyone, and remember to stay far, far away from the house that gives out toothbrushes.